On Fri, Feb 04, 2011 at 11:42:03AM +0000, Richard Porter wrote:
> The NetSurf web site says:
>
> "Efficiency lies at the heart of the NetSurf engine, allowing it to
> outwit the heavyweights of the web browser world. The NetSurf team
> continue to squeeze more speed out of their code."
>
> I've been doing one or two comparisons on a 300MHz Kinetic RiscPC
> running OS 6.16.
>
> Test 1 - following a link to near the bottom of a thumbnail index.
> Fresco 2.13     15s
> Oregano 1.10    17s
> Netsurf r11515  28s
>
> Test 2 - following a link to the latest forum post from the "top 10"
> latest posts page.
> Fresco           4s (when it worked properly)
> Oregano          6s
> Netsurf         17s
>
> Now obviously there's a big advantage in coding in assembler for a
> specific processor family rather than using C and making the code
> portable,

I wouldn't call it an advantage.  And none of the browsers you list here
are written in assembler; they're all written in C.

> but the main reason seems to be that NetSurf is trying to
> reformat the whole page over and over again, taking note of dimensions
> only after the images have been downloaded.

Also, NetSurf implements *FAR MORE* of HTML and CSS than either Fresco
or Oregano.  The amount of work it is doing is an order of magnatude
greater.

> The other browsers do a
> quick format observing dimensions where given, download the images and
> then reformat if necessary. Oregano seems to fill in the visible part
> of the window first which is a nice feature, but in the above tests I
> waited for the page to finish downloading.

You know where the sources are, etc...

B.