On Fri, Feb 04, 2011 at 12:03:17PM +0000, ba...@e-allen.me.uk wrote:
> In article <4d4be8bb.7040...@druck.org.uk>, David J. Ruck
> <dr...@druck.org.uk> wrote:
> > Coding in assembler is a big disadvantage for any sizeable amount of
> > code. You wont find any modern web browser written in assembler, it
> > would be insane.
>
> Perhaps that is the only way that a programmer knows? I think that
> StrongEd is written in Assembler and I don't think that Fred Graute,
> the current maintainer, knows any 'C'? Or perhaps he is just insane..
> :o)) Or perhaps I'm wrong..

Insane's it.  There was /some/ reason to write applications in assembler
when all we had were 4MHz ARM2s.  These days we don't, and we also have
freely-available high-quality compilers.  Writing things in C is
/significantly/ easier than assember assuming it's not just some trivial
toy.  And it also means your code is useful elsewhere.

Talking about the performance of NetSurf, a journalist on the Ziff Davis
Network recently said NetSurf is one of the fastest web browsers you'll
find:

http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/desktop-apps/2011/02/04/top-10-linux-browsers-how-i-rate-them-40091669/10/

(Although the chap is clearly confused about something, as he thinks
plug-in support is a web standards compliance issue.)

B.