On 4 Feb 2011 David J. Ruck wrote:

> On 04/02/2011 11:42, Richard Porter wrote:
>> The NetSurf web site says:
>>
>> "Efficiency lies at the heart of the NetSurf engine, allowing it to
>> outwit the heavyweights of the web browser world. The NetSurf team
>> continue to squeeze more speed out of their code."
>>
>> I've been doing one or two comparisons on a 300MHz Kinetic RiscPC
>> running OS 6.16.
>>
>> Test 1 - following a link to near the bottom of a thumbnail index.

> [snip]

>> Test 2 - following a link to the latest forum post from the "top 10"
>> latest posts page.

> [snip]

> How about URLs so people can see what those pages contain? Such as CCS
> elements which the older browsers will just ignore.

Test 1 has no CSS or javascript. Test 2 has some inline style elements
and javascript (http://www.minimarcos.org.uk/cgi-bin/forum/Blah.pl?,b=
MM,v=display,m=1296606335,s=4,highlight=#num4). I don't think the
javascript contributes to the formatting of the page - it's more
concerned with confirming delete requests, which obviously doesn't
work in NS.

>> Now obviously there's a big advantage in coding in assembler for a
>> specific processor family rather than using C and making the code
>> portable

> Coding in assembler is a big disadvantage for any sizeable amount of
> code. You wont find any modern web browser written in assembler, it
> would be insane.

According to Rob the older browsers were written in C anyway, so
that's not a factor. I agree entirely with your second sentence for a
whole raft of reasons, but execution speed isn't one of them.

--
Richard Porter                        http://www.minijem.plus.com/
                                      mailto:r...@minijem.plus.com