From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ( James)
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] Modem problem
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 21:11:57 GMT

On Mon, 08 Feb 1999 09:41:51 PST, you wrote:

>I have been trying to install my modem for two month. First, I tryed
>under the linux redhat 5.2, and I got "unknow uart" in all my serial
>ports. Now under mandrake (which I love it) since my machine boots, it
>detected (16550A), but under ttyS0 which is com1 under dos/windows. The
>problem is that it is not on that port, in reality it is on com2. But
>com2 has a "unknow uart". I have tryed all the combinations of
>setserial, changing the addresses, irqs, and setting the uart when it
is
>unknown.
>
>My modem is a compaq presario (Not a winmodem) and its speed is 33.6 .
>
>Using kppp I get the following errors:
>
>.- When it is in the ttyS0 (where it is detected as 16550A): After a
>while during the MODEM QUERY, i get Modem does not respond.
>
>.- And when I try other port , ex:ttyS1 (where the modem suppuse to be)
>I get error can not open modem.
>
>If someone knows what can I do to solve my problem, I will really
>apresiate it.

Have you tried setting Kppp for   cua1   ???.     Do you have com2
enabled in your bios?    If so you need to disable it....so your modem
can use it...otherwise your modem is being bumped by the bios to a
different comport...and since your modem isnt set for it...it cant be
found or initialized.   Also...try the cua   ports for selecting your
modem once you have verified your bios settings.  Also using setserial
verify port settings using the cua ports.

Hope this helps.

   Dennis