On Wed, 31 Mar 1999, Irsan S. P. Siregar wrote:

> I just installing (and start using) Mandrake 5.3. However, I feel
> that KDE access my HD a lot, and it's slow (compared to Windoze 95).
> Is it normal, or is there a way to speed it up?

KDE is quite a memory hog, so the best way to speed it up is to get some
additional RAM.
You can also try saving memory by killing un-necessary processes (on a
home use system, you can usually killall httpd and such) and/or reducing
the color depth of XFree86.

You can see which processes use up much memory by calling top, then
pressing M (=sort by memory usage).

Especially on a low memory system, putting the swap partition on a
different harddisk than the "normal" partition(s) can be some help too -
because if they're on the same disk, there's a lot of jumping between
distant sectors (what you're currently using and the swap space) on the
disk.

Finally, waiting for Mandrake 6.0 will help because you'll get a pentium
optimized version. ;)

LLaP
bero