Mark,

Samba is really a deep well to probe in a newbie list. But here goes. We
can move to private e-mail if it get's to detailed.

We use samba in an NT network in our office, with Samba as the primary file
and print server running Mandrake 5.3. (Our primary file and print services
used to be an NT server and we had Samba on a Sparc running Solaris 5.6,
but the Sparc's going to get a new life without Samba. Still have other NT
servers as special applications servers.) It works fine, but there are a
*WHOLE BUNCH* of issues about how NT and UNIX treat security that need to
get examined. The problem you're describing, not allowed to login from this
station, is probably happening because the hosts /etc/hosts,
/etc/hosts.equiv, ~/.hosts.equiv, hosts.allow, or hosts.deny files are not
set up correctly. Basically, the UNIX security mechanism is throwing you
out rather than the samba sub-system.

As a start, make sure the IP address of the machine you want to use as a
samba client is configured in the /etc/hosts file, that you have the
/etc/host.conf file setup to search the /etc/hosts file, and that you have
the machine name as listed in the /etc/hosts file also listed in either the
/etc/hosts.equiv file or in the users private .hosts.equiv file. This will
get you past the UNIX security.

typical /etc/host.conf file:

order hosts, bind
multi on

typical /etc/hosts.equiv file:

machine_1
machine_2

typical /etc/hosts file:

127.0.0.1       localhost       localhost.localdomain
192.168.0.2     dhcp.foobar.com       dhcp
192.168.0.10    machine_1.foobar.com    machine_1
192.168.0.9     machine_2.foobar.com        machine_2

Read the man pages on all these files, and if you've got another UNIX box
handy get rlogin or rsh working between them first. Then tackle samba
permissions.

MB
--
Michael R. Batchelor
Industrial Informatics & Instrumentation, Inc.