Kuraiken wrote:

> > > I have a official sound blaster 16 ISA card in my linux box.  I am new to
> > > linux and don't exactly know how to get linux to initialize and recognize
> > > it.  Any help in getting it working would be helpfull.  Thankyou in
> > > advance...Later, :)
> > >

> > G'day Bob
> >
> > Me again, from the command line logged in as root run sndconfig, should get up
> > up and going
> >

> Sorry to butt in again...but will this work without having to configure via
> isapnp? (I'm still scratching my head over this thing. I _know_ it's a pretty
> powerful tool but I can't seem to get it to work for my ESS 1869 chip) Does
> sndconfig work for any card or just sound blaster 16s?

Mostly for Soundblasters, from what I understand.   If you run
sndconfig, do you get to hear Linus?  Errors?  Anything?

> Also...how do I test that the card works? Do I have to tweak anything else to get
> it to play wavs etc? (I tried after many times with pnpconfig and then launching
> KDE and tried playing wavs etc...no luck. I'm missing something and I just know
> it's something trivial...btw, I read the docs...I think it assumes some degree of
> Linux familiarity.)

Anything written in the system logs when you attempt to play sound?
(/var/log/messages)

Check the mixer volumes (run aumix) to make sure it's not just that the
sound is turned down.  Don't laugh, I spent 45 minutes trying to figure
out why sound wasn't working, only to find out the volumes had been
turned down on the card!

--
Steve Philp
[EMAIL PROTECTED]