> > Sorry to butt in again...but will this work without having to configure via
> > isapnp? (I'm still scratching my head over this thing. I _know_ it's a pretty
> > powerful tool but I can't seem to get it to work for my ESS 1869 chip) Does
> > sndconfig work for any card or just sound blaster 16s?
>
> Mostly for Soundblasters, from what I understand.   If you run
> sndconfig, do you get to hear Linus?  Errors?  Anything?

I've not tested for that chip yet...(that machine is not here - I'll try it tomorrow
and report to the list)  but I've tried sndconfig on another machine but this time with
a built in sound chip. One of those PCChips boards.
The chip is a SoundPro chip...with PCI embossed on the chip (although, whether it
really is PCI I have not been able to determine)

For more info on the chip go to this web page:
http://www.pcchips.com.tw/Sound.html

Anyone else with this same sound chip? Have you gotten it to work? I'd really like to
hear from you.

> > Also...how do I test that the card works? Do I have to tweak anything else to get
> > it to play wavs etc? (I tried after many times with pnpconfig and then launching
> > KDE and tried playing wavs etc...no luck. I'm missing something and I just know
> > it's something trivial...btw, I read the docs...I think it assumes some degree of
> > Linux familiarity.)
>
> Anything written in the system logs when you attempt to play sound?
> (/var/log/messages)
>
> Check the mixer volumes (run aumix) to make sure it's not just that the
> sound is turned down.  Don't laugh, I spent 45 minutes trying to figure
> out why sound wasn't working, only to find out the volumes had been
> turned down on the card!
>
> --
> Steve Philp
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I won't laugh, it's happened to me too :-)

Well...I don't get any thing...no error messages in sys logs...and no sound either. It
just says (in sndconfig) "Error opening /dev/audio".

This device has got me stumped.
--
Kuraiken - Apprentice Codecaster