On Mon, 19 Jul 1999, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> A window wasn't responding under KDE, and I couldn't kill it, so I tried
> to log off and the system stopped responding. I waited a long time and
> then power cycled it and it managed to boot OK, except now every time it
> shuts down, "shutting down nfs mountd" fails, and starting up, it can't
> find "var/lib/nfs/xtab" or something like that, which I think was deleted
> when it tried to fix the drive. Is any of this a problem? More
> importantly, what ELSE can I DO if the system stops responding, other than
> cutting the power?

I can't help you the first part, I'm sure others will, but in regards to how to
shut down Xwindows if it locks up totally, here is an answer.
Ctrl + Alt + backspace   will kill the X session and drop you to the command
prompt if you booted in run level 3 or back to the sign in screen if you booted
in run level 5. It would probably be best to re boot at that time.

John Love

[EMAIL PROTECTED]