Trevor Wilson wrote:

> A window wasn't responding under KDE, and I couldn't kill it, so I tried
> to log off and the system stopped responding. I waited a long time and
> then power cycled it and it managed to boot OK, except now every time it
> shuts down, "shutting down nfs mountd" fails, and starting up, it can't
> find "var/lib/nfs/xtab" or something like that, which I think was deleted
> when it tried to fix the drive. Is any of this a problem? More
> importantly, what ELSE can I DO if the system stops responding, other than
> cutting the power?

  it happened to me a bit ago,and what I did was to go in and unmount the nfs
mounts I had set up,then remounted them and it went away
 control/alt/backspace will do it kill the x session I've found out thanks to
the list here,or press cntrl/alt and one of the Fkeys, log in as root,and
enter  "ps ax" and find out the last process that's listed with a different
tty than  the one that's listed with "ps ax" after it.
then kill that process

ie:

   891  tty1 x  xxx xxxx
   900  tty2 x  ps ax

  kill 891

   That's how I've been doing it,so if it's wrong someone jump in here
please!

merc.