> Basically what Partition Magic does that fdisk doesn't, is resize existing
> partitions without requiring you to first destroy them (and everything on them)
> and recreate them.  I guess that's convenient but -I- wouldn't pay $70 for it.
> :)

So it's a nondestructive partition resizer?  That doesn't sound
exceedingly hard to write.  I mean, shouldn't fdisk be able to do this?
I understand that it's still *much* easier to reformat everything, but
moving data... The snag is that it'll take direct writes.  It shouldn't
be too hard to grab one block of data and move it over some on disk.  If
they overlap, start from the other direction.  Use memory, too, when the
overlapping gets to be too much.  What more is there?