I did nothing special to get it to run on my 486.  I booted off of the boot
floppy, chose "custom", and away I went...

-Sean Noonan

                -----Original Message-----
                From:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]  On Behalf Of
Bernhard Rosenkraenzer
                Sent:   Thursday, August 05, 1999 11:49 AM
                To:     '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
                Subject:        Re: [newbie] RPMs (?)

                On Thu, 5 Aug 1999, Noonan, Mr Sean P. wrote:

                > I just purchased and installed Mandrake 6.0 and clicked on
the "updates"
                > icon within KDE/X.  I chose a local mirror.  The program
came back and gave
                > me several RPMs that needed to be upgraded.  I clicked on
the button that
                > said something like "go get the updates".  It got the
updates without a
                > problem.  However, upon trying to install the updates, I
got an error
                > messages telling me that the RPMs were for a "different
architecture".
                > Indeed, the RPMs the update utility received had "i586" in
their names.  I'm
                > running on a 486, not a 586.

                Please tell me how you managed to get it to run on a 486.
It's not
                supposed to work on a 486 (I'm currently compiling a 486
compatible
                version though) and we never claimed it would.

                If you keep using this version on a 486, you'll probably run
into a lot
                more problems. You should wait for the 486 version (should
be only a
                couple of days from now), or use a distribution that wasn't
made for
                Pentium+ processors.

                LLaP
                bero