On Wed, 11 Aug 1999, you wrote:
> Greetings:
>
> I am new to this list and new to Linux. I have installed
> Linux-Mandrake on my PC but am currently looking for easy
> directions to have Linux recognize my modem and dial in.
> I have seen some "simple" explanations that leave me a bit
> uncertain. Any suggestions on some easy (or less technical) step
> by step instructions? Thanks

Is this a PCI 56k internal modem? If so, chances are it
won't work. Give us some details on your system, especially
modem brand, model, etc and maybe someone here can help.
>From what I've read, you should disable PNP and set the
comm port, I/O address and IRQ with jumpers, if such are
available for your modem. IIRC, after that, you'll need to
run "setserial" and see what comes up for that modem. BTW,
ttys0=com1, ttys1=com2, etc.