Try the command this way

mount -t vfat /dev/hdax /mnt/dos (rw,user)

The user option may make it available to a user.  I won't bet on it
though as I'd be suspcious about losing the setting if you logged out as
root and logged back in as user.  My own preference would be to put the
necessary instructions in /etc/fstab so that this is taken care of
automatically by mounting it for you on bootup or at least making it
user mountable if not pre-mounted.  You may also want to consider adding
the option 'conv=auto' in case you're dealing with plain text files.
The way DOS and Unix handle the end of a line are signifigantly
different to cause you a headache if you don't have the appropriate
changes made when moving the file from MSDOS to Linux or vice versa.

Ken Wilson
First Law of Optimization: The speed of a nonworking program is
irrelevant
(Steve Heller, 'Efficient C/C++ Programming')