daRcmaTTeR wrote:

> John Richard Smith wrote:
>

>> Mon 01.07.02 BST
>>
>> OK, I have your download programme  and I gather it's a programme to
>> install from the net the latest
>> Mozilla 1.0 install. I am somewhat cautious here because my internet
>> connections cannot be relied upon to
>> aford reliable connection beyound an average of 20min. I'm guessing
>> here but I think the download install might well take a while , so
>> the question is , does it support resume facilities , I don't think
>> so, but correct me if I'm wrong.
>>
>> Anyhow I now have mozilla -i586-pc-linux-gnu-1.0-sea.tar.gz
>> (12.4mb)   uncompressed =12.8mb
>> When completed will this method of install include gehko and MRE ?
>>
>> I also have from mozilla website,
>>
>> mozilla-source-1.0.tar.gz
>> (38.0mb)
>>                                   uncompressed = 224.5mb
>> mozilla-source-1.0.tar.bz2(28.2mb)
>>                                 uncompressed = 238.2mb
>> I guess these are complete installs by their size, though they may
>> not include gehko and MRE ?
>> Does anyone know whether these tar balls would support alien RPM
>> rebuilds?
>>
>> Also , if I go down the tar ball install route, is it necessary to
>> remove the rpm version of mozilla first?
>> Is there likely to be conflict?
>> I would prefer to retain the old mozilla installation until ater the
>> new is up and configured, if possible.
>>
>> I would appreciate the advice of your more extensive experience ,
>> Thanks,
>>
>> John
>>

> Hi John,
>
> just extract the files from the tarball you downloaded from my ftp
> server and run the "mozilla-install" script. I think thats what it's
> called. That will install Mozilla. If you want you can uninstall the
> rpm of mozilla, however, there are a number of packages that will have
> to come out, so you're probably better off for now just leaving them
> where they are. Just rename the binary that sit in /usr/bin.
>
>         mv /usr/bin/mozilla /usr/bin/mozilla.0.9.8  [enter]
>
> the run the install program. If you compile mozilla from source...
> *shudder* ... you and your system are going to be busy for a while, so
> you may want to get a good book to read. plus, if you really new to
> Linux you may want to start with something smaller.

Mon 17.20 BST

Many Thanks  daRcmaTTeR,

I now have Mozilla 1.0 on and running, indeed this comes via composer in
mozilla1.0.

The original problem is now cured.  The " | choose | " tab works. There
is also something diferent about the addressbook environment too , not
had time to evaluate it fully  yet so cannot say precisely, but it looks
and feels better.

I still don't know about all the pluggins, Mozilla and Netscape seem to
have so many. My old mozilla had java realtime as an rpm and I guess
this serves again, and does not need changing ?
I would still appreciate a further suggestion about this issue, what
about this gehko thing, I'm not even sure what it is , or what it does,
except that it used to be called raptor.

Also , a check with the rpm package manager reveals :-

nautilus-mozilla 1.0.6-15mdk                                       10.85mb
Mozilla-irc-0.9.8-10mdk
 0.115mb
mozilla-mail-0.9.8-10mdk
4.216mb
mozilla-0.9.8-10mdk
  30.0mb
java2html.1.7-2mdk
   0.15mb

What should I do with these , how many dare I remove do you think.I
don't want to loose functionality.

One further think, I still don't seem to have an outbox, to save
messages to for transmission later.
Ctrl+shift+return = "unable to save your message to send later,please
veryifythat your M+NG a/c settings are correct+try later"
I doubt that my M+NG setting are wrong, but perhaps .

regards,

John

--
John Richard Smith