> My problem is that I have no idea how to use the tape drive.
>
> Could someone give me some pointers please.

I think there's a Tape howto over in the howto docs, but once you
have the tape working, it's pretty easy to use - you just use the
/dev/st0 (it is scsi, right?) or /dev/nst0 devises - the second is
the no-rewind device.

> Is it worth playing with?

Do yuo like to make backups? Or do you want to risk losing your
data? :)

> Which tape would work with it?

My surestore drive uses 4mm DAT tapes - they are DDS-2 and capacity
is 2 gigs uncompressed. When I got the drive, that was just right
for copacity; nowadays it is a bit small. But I rarely need to back
everything up. The tapes I've been using are Imation 4mm tapes - $5
bucks a pop when I got the drive.

> What backup software could I use with it?

Lots support tapes - since it is a device you can just use
'tar'. I've found that 'tar' is just as easy to use, and probably
preferable over other backup software. Plus, Arkeia would need X,
which translates to a pretty big system build before you could restore
a tape. Tar can fit on a rescue diskette.