On Wed, 3 Jul 2002, Tibbetts, Ric wrote:

> >ok...now you've really got my curiosity peeked. once you get the files
> >"on" the tape, how in the world does one browse, find, and then get the
> >file(s) off the tape? I've never done this before, but am truely
facinated
> >by this.
>
> Simple.
> If you put 'em on there with "tar", take 'em off with "tar".
> To get a listing of them:
>
> tar -tvf /dev/st0 > tape_list.tar (would output the contents to a file)
> Want one off?
> tar -xvf /dev/st0 <path/filename>
>
> Want to get really trick, you can compress the files when you write them
> tape with tar:
>
> tar -czvf /dev/st0 <files to be backed up>
>
> To get those off:
>
> tar -zxvf /dev/st0 <filespec>
>
> The "z" in tar will compress/uncompress them on the fly. There are far
> better utilities for doing backups than tar. But in a pinch, it works.
Let's
> not forget that "tar" is short for "Tape ARchive"
> In fact, tar should by default use whatever your default tape drive is.
> (works that way on AIX, Solaris, & HP-UX anyway)> You just type:  tar -xv
> <files to back up> If you leave off the "f", it defaults to the first tape
> drive. The "f" flag is actually to designate a "f"ile name for the archive
> other than tape. I haven't tried this on Linux. Maybe I'll check mine when
> get home.. ;)
>
> Have fun!
>
> Ric
>
> Now the fun part: This is like a lottery: Will this actually post or not.
> haven't had any luck lately. I've almost given up trying.

Ric,

thank you SO much for that awesome information. I can now see what is on
the tape now by writing the contents to a file. however when I attempt to
extract a specific file from the tape is tells me that the listed file is
not found in the archive.

======error message=======
[root@tapeserv root]# tar -xvf /dev/st0 /home/mdw1982/.mc/ini
tar: /home/mdw1982/.mc/ini: Not found in archive
====== end error message =======

Try dropping the leading slash from the filespec:

tar -xvf /dev/st0 home/mdw<whatever>/<somefile>

Just watch where you're sitting when you do that. I think if you check the
listing you made with 'tar -tvf', you'll notice the leading slash is not
there. Tar does that so you can restore them anywhere. If the leading slash
is still on, then the file will only restore to it's original location.
I usually have a /Data/Restore filesystem for doing restores. I get them off
tape to that directory, then put them in place. It's a hassle, but I've
hammered home directories by dropping them straight in. (turned a whole home
directory into 0 length files... oops!).

Cheers!
        Ric