> ok...now you've really got my curiosity peeked. once you get the files
> "on" the tape, how in the world does one browse, find, and then get the

Well, tar will do it for you:

tar xvf /dev/st0 filespec

filespec can be a wildcard selection, or a directory name, just like
extracting files from a regular tar file except the tar 'file' is
really on the tape instead of a tar archive on the disk.

What makes interactive selection difficult is the sequential nature
of the tape - you have to read through all of the tape to get the
last file on it.

dump is supposedly better but I haven't played with it enought to be
skilled in its use. It can also be confusing.