On Wed, 3 Jul 2002, Norman wrote:

>> tar cvf /dev/st0 /home/norman
>>
>> did a backup of my home directory.
>>
>> I thought I would need some software to rewind the tape
>>
>> not realising that this would happen automatically after
>>
>> the above command completed.
>>
>> I assume /dev/nst0 is used if you just want to append extra
>>
>> stuff after the first write.
>>
>> best wishes,
>>
>> norm
>>

>> registered Linux user 277766
>
>ok...now you've really got my curiosity peeked. once you get the files
>"on" the tape, how in the world does one browse, find, and then get the
>file(s) off the tape? I've never done this before, but am truely facinated
>by this.

Simple.
If you put 'em on there with "tar", take 'em off with "tar".
To get a listing of them:

tar -tvf /dev/st0 > tape_list.tar (would output the contents to a file)
Want one off?
tar -xvf /dev/st0 <path/filename>

Want to get really trick, you can compress the files when you write them to
tape with tar:

tar -czvf /dev/st0 <files to be backed up>

To get those off:

tar -zxvf /dev/st0 <filespec>

The "z" in tar will compress/uncompress them on the fly. There are far
better utilities for doing backups than tar. But in a pinch, it works. Let's
not forget that "tar" is short for "Tape ARchive"
In fact, tar should by default use whatever your default tape drive is.
(works that way on AIX, Solaris, & HP-UX anyway)> You just type:  tar -xv
<files to back up> If you leave off the "f", it defaults to the first tape
drive. The "f" flag is actually to designate a "f"ile name for the archive
other than tape. I haven't tried this on Linux. Maybe I'll check mine when I
get home.. ;)

Have fun!

Ric

Now the fun part: This is like a lottery: Will this actually post or not. I
haven't had any luck lately. I've almost given up trying.