On Friday 05 July 2002 8:13 pm, Todd Slater wrote:

> While I'm all for sharing and sticking it to the RIAA, MPAA, and "the
> man," I tend to side with the artist on this issue. It would be nice
> to see a distribution system in which the artist could reap the
> benefits of his/her labor more than the record label.
>
> It's great to share as in free software, but you are projecting your
> ideas about sharing onto others. How do you make your living? Shall
> we all of a sudden decide that your labor should be shared for free,
> without any input from you? People who develop free software do so
> willingly. I don't think it's fair to project that onto others so you
> don't have to spend $15 on a crummy CD.
>
> Lately I'm having a hard time finding music I want to purchase
> anyway. That's the fault of the record labels and FM radio. Blah!!
>
> I know this will be an unpopular position on this list, so let me
> practice moving side to side and ducking . . .

Although not a recording artist I agree with you, although CDs were
costing £13-£15 a shot long before the Internet haled up over the
horizon ;)

As a classical musician (viola, violin, piano) my sort of music is
rarely discussed in this context, which is a pity because it has unique
problems. The most pertinent is that, apart from the output of a few
small companies* who do a lot of digging in libraries and bring forth
fascinating esoterica, everything that can be recorded has been
recorded multiple times; why have eight slightly different copies of a
Mahler symphony? That fact has finally got through to recording
companies which have flown into a wild panic, stopped new recordings,
terminated artists' contracts and started issuing their back catalogue
en bloc. This slash and burn has had a pleasant impact on the consumer
(I'm regularly seeing boxed sets of two or three CDs for £12-£15, which
is a nice incentive to fill in the gaps) but, in the medium or long
term, is disastrous as there is no fertile ground left.

I would like to see it recognised that the Internet is an obviously good
way of distributing music and rows and rows of plastic boxes in a shop
are anachronistic. The RIAA et alia, as a block to change, should be
summarily legislated out of existence, contracts between record
companies and artists should be bought out at mandated rates, and
artists should be obliged to sell, track by track, direct to the
consumer, at reasonable costs (a flat rate per track or similar) with
appropriate digital rights management. 'Record shops' should become
quasi-Internet cafes with CD burners and printers (for sleeve material)
ad lib, so that those who don't have their own equipment can still take
part and bring their own media.

(I have no problem with Palladium provided it is used to enforce DRM for
goods with reasonable price structures; I hope that, if Microsoft
thinks it can set these structures, it is sorely mistaken. Such a job
is not for a private company).

Alastair

* http://www.hyperion-records.com/ being an outstanding example.
- --