July 6, 2002 03:56 am, Anne Wilson wrote:
<snip>

> As an aside -
>
> I was a teenager in the late '50s.  An article I read recently highlighted
> the lifestyle cost in comparative terms.  I found that the simple record
> player I bought then cost the equivalent of £833.  I could never afford LP
> records.  The reason was simple - a 2x20 min. LP cost the equivalent of
> £189. Suddenly CDs at £15 don't look so expensive :-)
>
> Anne
Good points Anne.

The problem is that something you (I also) want to hear more than just once
is worth what you're (I'm) willing/able to pay for it. The same applies to
movies in my opinion. However if you can't even "preview" the material how
are consumers (me too) supposed to judge?

In the interest of retaining my title of "Canadian looney of the modern age;"
isn't the ("inflation adjusted") price of that record player on the close
order of a 'generic utility' type PC? Also; the price (adjusted) of that
recording, roughly the cost of a hard drive and decent speakers/sound card?
Or sound card and graphics adapter at least? :-)

Just a (severely bent) thought. Totally flawed analogy of course; but that's
my specialty.

--
Charlie
Edmonton,AB,Canada