July 5, 2002 01:13 pm, Todd Slater wrote:
<snip>

> While I'm all for sharing and sticking it to the RIAA, MPAA, and "the
> man," I tend to side with the artist on this issue. It would be nice to
> see a distribution system in which the artist could reap the benefits of
> his/her labor more than the record label.
>
> It's great to share as in free software, but you are projecting your
> ideas about sharing onto others. How do you make your living? Shall we
> all of a sudden decide that your labor should be shared for free,
> without any input from you? People who develop free software do so
> willingly. I don't think it's fair to project that onto others so you
> don't have to spend $15 on a crummy CD.
>
> Lately I'm having a hard time finding music I want to purchase anyway.
> That's the fault of the record labels and FM radio. Blah!!
>
> I know this will be an unpopular position on this list, so let me
> practice moving side to side and ducking . . .
>
> Todd
I'm with you Todd.

I never swap movie or music files, but the few people that I associate with
that do buy just as many disks as they ever did. If they're worth buying in
the first place.

The only disks that I've bought in roughly the past year were replacements
for scratched or otherwise damaged ones. Or ones my kids swiped and wouldn't
give back. :-) Most of the replacements came from bookswap/recycled CD bins
at the local "exchanges" since most of the stuff was rather old. Like me.

I laugh when I read that swapping files is responsible for the decline in
sales. Seems to me it's the ridiculous prices and arrogance of the jerks
running the studios and labels. The (musicians) artists mostly get a pittance
for their creativity anyway until they become a "name;" at which point they
don't usually have anything to offer that I want to hear.

Artists I'll support, and that includes software developers working on
projects I believe in. Drones/clones that work on a 'business model' that
insists on 'all the traffic will bear' can find a hole to crawl, in then pull
it in behind themselves for all I care. If the decisions they made to pay so
much for so little (think Mariah Carey among others) hadn't happened the
"costs" wouldn't be out of line. Their model isn't working, nor should they
be with that level of thought in their "planning." The world doesn't need
them.

Or me. :-)
--
Charlie