On Fri, 5 Jul 2002 15:13:55 -0400
Todd Slater <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 05, 2002 at 11:34:10AM -0700, Sevatio wrote:
> > Check out this story:
> > http://www.reuters.com/news_article.jhtml?type=internetnews&StoryID=1168474
>
> While I'm all for sharing and sticking it to the RIAA, MPAA, and "the
> man," I tend to side with the artist on this issue. It would be nice
> to see a distribution system in which the artist could reap the
> benefits of his/her labor more than the record label.
>
> It's great to share as in free software, but you are projecting your
> ideas about sharing onto others. How do you make your living? Shall we
> all of a sudden decide that your labor should be shared for free,
> without any input from you? People who develop free software do so
> willingly. I don't think it's fair to project that onto others so you
> don't have to spend $15 on a crummy CD.
>
> Lately I'm having a hard time finding music I want to purchase anyway.
> That's the fault of the record labels and FM radio. Blah!!
>
> I know this will be an unpopular position on this list, so let me
> practice moving side to side and ducking . . .

I couldn't disagree with you more on this one. These artists aren't
getting shafted because people steal music online. They're getting
shafted because record companies don't pay them squat compared to what
they make the record companies. Let's face it. They're getting their
money anyway because they're paid up front, and nothing beyond that.

In fact this is actually helping the lesser known bands. Some of them
are quite happy about the whole music sharing thing. They make their
money doing concerts, not by selling records. This just gives them more
exposure, enabling them to sell more tickets. Eventually, I think we'll
see the end of record companies. Bands will all give their music away
online so that people will go and see them live.

Bill