You're absolutely right, Todd.

Everyone deserves to be reasonably compensated for the creative and
productive "value-added" work that they do.  Sadly, there seem to be three
extremes that get in the way:  1) Greed -- some (like monopolistic,
anti-trustworthy Microsoft and grossly over-paid athletes, actors, corporate
CEOs, etc.) who excessively, disproportionately, and unreasonably profit
from whatever "value-added" they contribute to society; 2) Theft -- those
who steal the value-added of others' work, whatever it may be, without being
willing to pay reasonable compensation; and 3) rip-off-artists who profit
disproportionately on the work and productivity of others.  (One has to
wonder-out-loud what "value-added" lawyers, packagers, and the advertising
industry provide to society.  For a $5.00 box of cereal a farmer gets what,
9-cents?

It could be argued that the computer software "shareware" concept and the
GNU-Linux "open source" initiatives just might be among the most significant
developments in the history of mankind.  For in this we see the very best of
humanity -- many, many talented people freely sharing their best efforts for
the good of all -- and many appreciative users supporting those efforts in
various ways.  But then, sadly, there are too-many who want everything free
and contribute nothing to anyone.

Perhaps the web will remedy this problem in creative new ways that we have
not yet seen.