> Still trying to find the source of this memory leak in my system. I
> reinstalled XFree86 4.2 from the binaries off of their website, but this
> has not made any apparent difference.

A good way to check for leaks is to run top in a separate window for
some length of time. You should be able to detect the leak - one or
more processes will continuae to increase in size steadily over time.

Note if you have jabberd installed - that's been confirmed as a major
leak. I personally found it when I was contemplating doing instant
messaging with my brother - it's not worth the trouble. I can't see
any other use for it. In less than a week uptime it had consumed nearly
300 megs of RAM.

> The only real information I have is that it only leaks while X is running,
> so presumably that narrows down the culprits, but not enough for me to
> work out what it is.

Is it X itself? I still have 4.1. Do you notice the server (X) growing
uncontrollably? There were some threads sometime back about this but
AFAIK it depended on what video card you were using.

Speaking of bizarre things -- about 2 days ago I was just staring at my
X screen thinking what to do next. All of a sudden the whole X subsystem
crashed, bringing me down to a console. I have yet to figure why this
happened. Sometimes bringing down the X subsystem is a temporary fix
for heavy memory use, but my system was fairly lightly loaded at the
time.