> System.map2.4.28mine and change that link to make
> it point to my file.

Right...

>  how am i supposed to keep both kernels?
> i've checked lilo.conf and the boot sections seem
> to have no reference to these files...

There's a vmlinuz symlink that points to somethimg like
vmlinuz-2.4.xx-1.mdk. What you probably should do is rename
the old symlink to something like vmlinux-old, and create a
new symlink that points to the new kernel in /boot.

> what do i have to add in order to make lilo choose
> the corresponding system.map whenever i choose a kernel
> to boot?

I don't think Lilo chooses the system map but there should
be a corresponding system map for each kernel - you'd use lilo
to select which kernel.

Look for a stanza (/etc/lilo.conf) beginning with 'image' that has vmlinuz
in it. If you linked the new kernel to vmlinuz, that's the kernel that's
going to boot. You can just copy those lines and make another stanza that
uses 'vmlinuz-old' or what have you, which will select the other (or
default) kernel.