Damian G wrote:

> Hi...
>
> well, i've just finished building my very first custom kernel
> ( well, actually not my first build, but it's my first SERIOUS one
> and i might like not tearing my OS apart this time ;oP )
>
> and i'm a little confused about that System.map file.
>
> the kernel i'm running now has it's own System.map
> and the new one has another. right? ok.
>
> in /boot i've got System.map which is a link
> to System.map2.4.28mdk..
>
> ok, so in order to use my new kernel i've got
> to rename my new System.map to something like
> System.map2.4.28mine and change that link to make
> it point to my file.
>
> now, my question is:
>
>  how am i supposed to keep both kernels?
> i've checked lilo.conf and the boot sections seem
> to have no reference to these files...
>
> what do i have to add in order to make lilo choose
> the corresponding system.map whenever i choose a kernel
> to boot?
>
> thanks.
>
> Damian

> Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

I have also been confused about System.map and using more that one
kernel.
The following url has a write-up about it, but it is not very clear
about how to use a System.map that matches which kernel!!!
 http://www.linuxmafia.com/~rick/linux-info/systemmap.html

The url does point out that the System.map is not important when it
comes to the kernel running or not. System.map is used by klogd after a
kernel oops for debug purposes. Also the url points out that other
programs use the System.map and it gives some examples of these
programs.  The url also points out how klogd finds the System.map.

Peter[no last name given] -the author of this article- knows of no way
to resolve this conflict of matching the right System.map to the correct
kernel!!!???

I can only suggest writing a script that is executed after the system is
booted that checks which kernel has booted and then changing the syslink
of System.map to match.

'uname -r' will list the kernel version.  Maybe something from here
could be used in the script.

Maybe I will look into this further tomorrow??

At least this is a start at explaining the usage of System.map.

HTH
Charles