On Wednesday 10 July 2002 20:54, Femme wrote:

> I have come into ownership of an older HP Omnibook, a PII 233 iirc,
> and its got a removeable CD-Rom & Floppy drive.  Can't have both
> attached at once.
> I had planned to stick mandrake on it, however I ran into a small
> snag. If I can't boot the CD itself, and can't have both floppy &
> CD-Rom attached at the same time, I can't boot from floppy then
> install.  Nor may I just install off the CD.
> It says it will boot off
> teh CD when I set it in the BIOS, but it doesn't work

Are you sure you can't have both drives connected at the same time? I
had an Omnibook once, a P166. The way I remember it, you could only
have one drive at a time in the swappable bay. But if you wanted, you
could have the CD-ROM drive in the bay and the floppy drive just
sitting beside the Omnibook on the desk, and the floppy drive plugged
into the parallel port on the back. The BIOS on that one was not
capable of booting from CD-ROM. I installed SuSE using the arrangement
just described - booting from the floppy, which was plugged into the
parallel port, and having the CD-ROM drive in the bay. SuSE 7.1
installed on it fine that way. I never got the sound working, though.