On Wed, 2002-07-10 at 19:58, bascule wrote:

> before i forget, didn't there use to be a 'dosstart' boot method or somesuch
> where one could start the install from a dos prompt? perhaps if the laptop
> can be in dos with the cd drive recognised you could try this, i think there
> was/is a directory on cd1 with .bat file to launch under dos,

I hope so b/c this would likely work for it.

> anyway, once you have a partition with the iso or cd contents on you will
> need to know how to describe it to the install i.e. /dev/hda1 etc.
>
> you say you have tried this before and it didn't work, did you do anything
> different to what i have described?
>
> bascule

The way I tried this in the past was on a huge FAT32 partition I have on
my secondary drive.  I put all the files into one central directory
called Mandrake, then under that: CD1, CD2, CD3.  When I went to install
I pointed the .img file to my partitions beforehand, and as I installed
yes it asked for the files & where they were.  Yet, no matter what I
did, I couldn't get it to accept the directories I'd created for it.

I don't know what I did wrong...?

Tia
Femme