iirc one can copy the contents of all the cds into one single directory
stucture with cds 2 and 3 going under .../Mandrake/RPMS2 and ..../RPMS3
respectively, however the partition with the install files on it is then
unavailable for installing onto and it might be nice to maximise the space
available during the install by creating a partition just large enough for
one cd - iso or contents, the hd.img can handle either, as i mentioned after
install one can then install from the other cd's

before i forget, didn't there use to be a 'dosstart' boot method or somesuch
where one could start the install from a dos prompt? perhaps if the laptop
can be in dos with the cd drive recognised you could try this, i think there
was/is a directory on cd1 with .bat file to launch under dos,

anyway, once you have a partition with the iso or cd contents on you will
need to know how to describe it to the install i.e. /dev/hda1 etc.

the install will ask for the partition the file(s) are on and then for the
directory they are in, if you feed the correct details then all should be
plain sailing, if you don't get 'loading second stage' then the install is
probably not able to find the install files, if you do and then it fails then
either the file(s) are corrupt or there maybe some hardware
problem/incompatiblity
- obviously of you copy the cd onto a partition using windows it will be  a
fat16/32 - i'm not aware of that being a problem but i can't swear that the
boot floppy kernel will recognise the full range of file systems - perhaps
someone else could comment?

you say you have tried this before and it didn't work, did you do anything
different to what i have described?

bascule

--