On Tuesday 16 Jul 2002 9:47 am, you wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:

> >>Why does this stuff never happen to me?
> >>
> >>It is very very hard to guide someone when You've never seen the
> >> situation.
> >>
> >>OK, next time it happens
> >>
> >>ps aux > myfile
> >>tail -n 40 /var/log/messages >> myfile
> >>
> >>then C&P myfile to your email.
> >>
> >>The only daemon I am aware of that could cause this is jabberd which
> >>seems to have a severe memory leak, so if you are using any instant
> >>messenger based on jabberd, it  will eat so much of your memory that
> >>swap will be used whenever you try to open a new app, which causes a
> >>tremendous slowdown.
> >>
> >>The solution if that is the problem is simple
> >>
> >>urpme jabberd
> >>
> >>which will rip out jabber and everything that uses it.
> >>
> >>Civileme
> >
> >No - I don't use an instant messenger.
> >
> >Myfile info coming up:

<snip>

> Hmmm, looks like it might be trying to access the CD (audio) ...  Is
> there a disk in there?

No - the only thing that changed recently with regard to CD audio is an
application link on the desktop with Execute set to xmms /dev/scd0.  This
since about 3 days ago.  I have trashed it just in case, but it doesn't seem
to have made any difference.

> Everything else looks very normal.  Two things to try....
>
> 1.  In superuser terminal
>
> supermount -i disable

This didn't seem to make any difference.

> right when you begin your session (this won't matter for audio CDs but
> it will be required to mount and umount data cds)
>
> 2.  at boot splash screen hit esc then type
>
> linux devfs=nomount

This hung at the 'system server' bit, then the KDE splash screen disappeared
completely leaving me with an empty blue screen and no way out but to power
down.

Manual fsck completed I'm back to almost a minute to open a directory on my
desktop - though once open changing directories is snappy.

Hope something here gives you a clue.

Anne