> Keyboard input is no problem.  Moving around with a word processor, for
> instance, is no problem.  It's anything that requires loading time.

Even more interestign. I hope your PATH is set to something simple and
you're not scanning all those mount points looking for stuff during a
load - that would really complicate things. /mnt/anything shouldn't
be in your PATh. I doubt it is, but I think we're on the right track
in helping you diagnose your slowdown - and it seems related to disk
subsystems.