Mad Scientist wrote:

>I have a very similar (perhaps the same) problem. It first started after I
>installed WINE from source. If I choose menu style "All applications" in
>MenuDrake, I get nothing in the K menu even though all menus are present in
>MenuDrake. If I choose "What to do?" menu style, then those ones are there.
>But checking on "Add link to All applications menu" doesn't add any such
>link. It seems the applications menu is somehow messed up. Finally, if I
>choose "Original menu", then I *do* get the original menus. Unfortunately,
>these are unrelated to which apps I have installed.
>
>Hopefully this additional info causes a light to go on for somebody :-)

>Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

If you look at /usr/lib/menu you will see all sorts of files that have
to do with menu.  In those files is a needs clause.

If it needs kde then it disappears when kde is removed.  Those files are
written directly into the mdk rpm spec files and are cleaned when things
are removed.

If you remove KDE surely you did not expect anything depending on KDE to
stick around.  Konqueror does have an embedded version, true, but that
version is not included with the distro.

Now menu files can be in the system menu or in the user menu (which are
specific to each user) and they can appear for a specific desktop
 'Needs kde'  'needs gnome'  'needs blackbox'  are sometimes clauses....

There is considerable room for expansion in the menu structure.  The
"what to do?" is an example.  It is also easily possible to add another
clause to each menu item which defines a level so that a user could rate
his own level and if for example choosing newbie, see only the simplest
of apps.  This is easily done.

What you will notice about our menus is that, to the extent possible,
they stay the same across desktops.  KDE and GNOME-specific items that
just need the widget set for each of those do propagate across desktops,
and are on some of them submenued as "KDE apps" or "GNOME Apps".

In other words the system did what it was told which wasn't what you
expected.

Civileme