Mad Scientist wrote:

>On Sunday 28 July 2002 02:21 pm, you wrote:
>
>>If you look at /usr/lib/menu you will see all sorts of files that have
>>to do with menu.  In those files is a needs clause.
>>
>>If it needs kde then it disappears when kde is removed.  Those files are
>>written directly into the mdk rpm spec files and are cleaned when things
>>are removed.
>>
>>If you remove KDE surely you did not expect anything depending on KDE to
>>stick around.  Konqueror does have an embedded version, true, but that
>>version is not included with the distro.
>>
>>Now menu files can be in the system menu or in the user menu (which are
>>specific to each user) and they can appear for a specific desktop
>> 'Needs kde'  'needs gnome'  'needs blackbox'  are sometimes clauses....
>>
>>There is considerable room for expansion in the menu structure.  The
>>"what to do?" is an example.  It is also easily possible to add another
>>clause to each menu item which defines a level so that a user could rate
>>his own level and if for example choosing newbie, see only the simplest
>>of apps.  This is easily done.
>>
>>What you will notice about our menus is that, to the extent possible,
>>they stay the same across desktops.  KDE and GNOME-specific items that
>>just need the widget set for each of those do propagate across desktops,
>>and are on some of them submenued as "KDE apps" or "GNOME Apps".
>>
>>In other words the system did what it was told which wasn't what you
>>expected.
>>

>This is all very helpful information and I'm starting to get a better
>understanding of how these menus work. But I still can't solve this one.
>Although the original poster indicated he had removed KDE, I'm not sure if
>that's the problem. At least in my case, I never removed KDE. Also, it's not
>just the KDE-related menus that are gone. All menus are gone. And they are
>gone from all window managers. I basically have from "Run Command" and down
>still there but everything above is gone. The original poster stated
>"Everything has been lost from my menus except the freshly installed Gnome
>apps." which sounds to me to be the same problem.
>
>When I go "Original menu" style, I do get all those menus, but they do not
>relate to the apps I have installed. I can get the "What to do ?" menus to
>show, but not the "All applications". And they are the ones that really fit
>best with what I actually have installed.
>
>They *do* appear in menudrake. According to menudrake, everything looks
>perfect. They just don't show in the real menus.
>
>Still confused,
>
>-Mad

>Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

OK in that case you have a local file that is overriding the menus.  It
also may be that you installed a Ximian GNOME package which usually lags
about six months in actually supporting mandrake so they break our menus
until that point.  BTW, most of the functionality, but not the look &
feel, of Ximian is already in the Mandrake rpms.

Or you have managed to catch the menu editor halfway through a save
which can always have interesting results--we do have a "ShowBusyCursor"
lockout because people used to quit it whioe it was still saving and I
have not seen what you describe since Vincent locked out the early quitting.

Anyway, anytime something is done to the local menus, there is a hidden
file called .menu-updates.stamp created and also there is the ~/.menu
folder which concerns the actual menus.  There are additional items down
in /etc but those need not concern you--those are regeneration methods,
mostly , these days.

so

$ rm ~/.menu-  (tab for completion)
$ rm -r ~/.menu -f
$ su
Password: (your root password
# update-menus -v
(Watch out there is a cosmetic bug here that it needs a return pressed
to show a prompt after it is done)
# exit
$ logout  (or better ctrl-alt-backspace)

login from the login manager

You should have functional menus

If you installed GNOME from a non-mandrake source, you will not have the
GNOME menus that came with the install.  That is because we take the
trouble to make the menus pretty much the same across desktops (and the
Linux Standards Base has not addressed that issue for standardization
yet, just Debian and Mandrake do that.)

Civileme