> What puzzles me is why your straight copy of the original boot disc
> fails to initalise on boot up as the original does.It seems a bit strange
> if the original boots up it cannot be a bios setting getting in the way, so
> it has to be something about the copy that is different. I copied
> many Mandrake CD1's for people doing it with these afforementioned
> methods without problems. I've also copied the "others" as well.
> Is there something odd about the original, that the copying software
> finds it does not know how to resolve do you think. amil me off
> list if like.

Yes it is a win2k CD - odd enough isn't it? ;)

By the way I interpreted your
mkisofs -r -J -v -o temp.iso /mnt/cdrom/<filetobe copied>

as
mkisofs -r -J -v -o temp.iso /mnt/cdrom/*

when I think of it, it may have been better if I did a
mkisofs -r -J -v -o temp.iso /dev/scd0
(this should also work - or am I wrong?)

since I wanted the whole CD to be copied.

Patrik