iggy wrote:

>don't try to defend yourself in america.  i'm being charged with assault for
>striking an attacker with a closed fist.  i'm handicapped, and expected to
>invite them to tea!  i'f no timely reply, you know that i'm sitting in a
>stuffy cubicle in county jail... oh, well.
>-iggy
>
>On Monday 16 September 2002 02:21 pm, Anne Wilson wrote:

>>>Not being critical here, so if a many-time over thief/criminal trespasses
>>>onto your property, and while attempting to break into your home and do
>>>you and yours violent harm, injures themselves, then you are responsible?
>>>
>>>I hope thats not true... :-(
>>>

>>As I understand it, yes it is true.  Of course, you could sue him for
>>damages to you and your kin, but he could and probably would sue you for
>>his injury. As far as I can see he would almost certainly get them too.

As I explained to the kids in my self-defence course, you should only
use force in a situation when you are in serious danger, and in those
situations, legal questions are irrelevant.

Sir Robin

--
"There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those
 who understand binary and those who don't" - thinkgeek.com

Robin Turner
IDMYO
Bilkent Üniversitesi
Ankara 06533