On Wednesday 18 Sep 2002 3:30 am, you wrote:
> Well, I'm finally getting around to writing a little rant about why IE
> isn't the best browser so I can show it to my visitors who use IE before I
> let them see my pages. I would like to keep it short and sweet, and
> thought I'd open it up to suggestions from you folks.
>
> Here's what I have so far:
>
> Before I can let you look at [page], I feel that I should warn you that
> Internet Explorer is not the best browser. In fact, it's probably not even
> the third best browser.
>
> In addition to its well-documented security problems, IE just wasn't
> designed with the end-user in mind; it lacks many of the features of its
> competitors.
>
> Luckily, there are alternatives to Internet Explorer. Try any of these
> browsers for one week and I guarantee you'll only keep IE around for those
> few sites you really need to use and whose webmasters are assholes who
> only know how to design for IE.
>
> Mozilla
> Opera
> Netscape
> Galeon (linux)
> Chimera (Mac)
>
> [bold] I understand that Internet Explorer is a lousy browser that enjoys
> its dominance not due to its features or functionality, but rather due to
> Microsoft's illegal monopolistic practices. Furthermore, I realize the
> security risks involved with using Internet Explorer. [/bold]
>
> Accept                Decline
>
> Hee hee!

Todd - just my opinion, ignore if you will.

Generally people take an attack on their habits as an attack on themselves,
so if you don't want to alienate your visitors, be careful.  I think many
would go away rather than carry on after this page.

Personally I would go along the 'only trying to help you' line, something
like 'in view of IE's known security problems I would recommend that you try
the following browsers, all of which have at least as much functionality
without the problems'.

Whether you do this or not, why not put all the supported platforms after the
names - after all this is strange and new to most people.  They probably
don't know that the first three work equally well in Windows and Linux (I
don't know if there are Mac versions?)

HTH

Anne