On Wed, 2002-09-18 at 15:42, Carroll Grigsby wrote:

> Alastair:
> Wait a couple of days, and you'll get your 20.
> -- cmg

I was internally debating this timescale and thought it was probably
right. Although nothing has turned up relating to IE specifically
there've been 4 alerts on the [bugtraq] list today concerning Microsoft
products. Including this (at face value) absolutely horrendous one:

"Windows NT/2000/XP do not check execution rights correctly before
allowing 16-bit executables to load. This makes it possible to load and
execute 16-bit files without execute permission. For example, the
command line

COMMAND /c 16BitApp.exe

will always run the application 16BitApp.exe regardless of execute
permission."

So someone could bring in CRASH.EXE on a floppy disk and subvert access
control lists and all the other expensive-consultant-set-up Windows
paraphernalia :)

Suppose Linux was:

- occupying 95% of the market;

- widely disliked.

Would such elementary holes be opened up with the same regularity as is
happening with Microsoft products? I have the uneasy feeling that the
answer would be "yes".

Alastair