Scott Felton wrote:

>I'm new to Mandrake and fairly new to Linux (ran Slackware for a few months
>back around 3.5-4.0 on a P166)
>
>Now I have a new machine, 1.3g celeron, 384m RAM and two 40g hard drives. I
>have been installing and toying with many distros but Mandrake is the first
>that has my interest for more than a day or two.
>
>I have Windows XP on the first hard drive (hda) that came with the computer.
>How do (can?) I mount that drive just in case I want to get something off it
>to look at from here in Linux?
>
>I created a "/windows" directory (as root) and tried.........
>
>[root@whitetrash scott]# mount -t ntfs /dev/hda /windows
>mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda,
>       or too many mounted file systems
>
>(gee, I still remember how to cut and paste in Linux :)
>
>AFAIK Mandrake is mounting 3 partitions for Linux on hdb (at least when I
>installed it, I defined 3). I *THINK* lilo is installed on /dev/hda (and not
>in MBR). Should I be able to mount my Windows NTFS?
>
>The Windows HD actually has nothing on it but Windows and I will probably
>ditch it when I settle on a final distro of Linux, but now that I can't mount
>it, I'm curious what my problem might be?  I've installed Windows several
>times (I keep wiping it out during Linux install goofs:) and it SAYS it's
>using NTFS during the install. Looking at the man page for "mount" I think I
>have the syntax correct and I found nothing in this lists FAQ (although I'm
>not very good at searching it). TIA...

It's quite simple really, mandrake installer will not , unlike vfat,
automatically mount any ntfs partition, yet, but you can do it .
I have W2k in a ntfs partition and a number of spare ntfs partitions.
As Root,
First create files  in the /mnt  directory for each ntfs partition
you want to mount. here are mine,

/mnt/ntfs-vol7
/mnt/ntfs-vol8
/mnt/ntfs-vol9
/mnt/W2000

Then go to /etc/fstab and add entries with a text editor,save and
exit. here are mine,

/dev/hda10 /mnt/ntfs-vol7 ntfs iocharset=iso8859-15,defaults 0 0
/dev/hda11 /mnt/ntfs-vol8 ntfs iocharset=iso8859-15,defaults 0 0
/dev/hda12 /mnt/ntfs-vol9 ntfs iocharset=iso8859-15,defaults 0 0
/dev/hda1 /mnt/W2000 ntfs iocharset=iso8859-15,defaults 0 0

Adapt your entries to your situation.

]# mount -a

If your've done it right you can enter any of the above partitions
and copy across to mandrake, but you cannot write back.It's
not supported, so the work around is to have one modest sized
vfat partition and copy to that .

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]