On Wednesday 18 September 2002 10:20 pm, you wrote:

>                            mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /windows
> Mandrake puts mount points in /mnt, so it may be /mnt/windows. I use
> /mnt/winnt.
> /dev/hda is the disk, /dev/hda1 is a partition. you want to mount a
> partition.
> BTW, it WILL be read-only. Read-write access is experimental, don't use
> it.

Thanks for the above Michael. With your advice and adive from many others on
the list I am able to mount my NTFS partition. I have added it to fstab and
it works fine. I can only access it when logged in as root though. (I'll
tackle that next)

Many people suggested a FAT32 "common area" to read/write files between Linux
and WindowsXP but I can't do that here. The Windows disk that came with my
machine will only install using NTFS and it takes the entire 40g hard drive
for itself with no consideration for what may already be on the disk. I
haven't found a (free) tool that will let me claim back some of that space to
use as anything other than NTFS.

I will have the last laugh when I put my final chosen Linux dist on here
using both 40g disks and use those Windows CDs for coasters! (margarittas
anyone? :)