On Friday 20 September 2002 08:09 pm, you wrote:

> > Many people suggested a FAT32 "common area" to read/write files between
> > Linux and WindowsXP but I can't do that here. The Windows disk that came
> > with my machine will only install using NTFS and it takes the entire 40g
> > hard drive for itself with no consideration for what may already be on
> > the disk. I haven't found a (free) tool that will let me claim back some
> > of that space to use as anything other than NTFS.
> >
> > I will have the last laugh when I put my final chosen Linux dist on here
> > using both 40g disks and use those Windows CDs for coasters! (margarittas
> > anyone? :)
>
> Scott:
> I've _heard_ of an alternative to Partition Magic (either freeware or
> relatively inexpensive shareware) that does the same things as PM. I
> _believe_ it's called Ranish Partition Manager. That would be one way of
> setting up a FAT32 common data area. (Weasel words underlined because I've
> never used it.. Hell, I'm not even sure if I've got the name spelled
> correctly.) Be cautious, but it might be worth a Google.
> -- cmg

Thanks for that info Carroll. It didn't look like the Ranish Partition
Manager was going to work for me on NTFS but I did start searching and found
a shareware product (BootitNG) that *did* let me resize my WinXP NTFS volume,
add a Fat32 volume to act as a go-between area. It is also a boot manager so
I can dual boot WinXP or Mandrake. Now Windows has the size partition it
deserves.....4g out of 80 :)