On Sunday 22 September 2002 9:09 am, Angus Auld wrote:
> > > Have you installed "kernel-source" ? That one is needed for sure. HTH
> > > --
> > > Dennis M. linux user #180842

> > Thanks Dennis for the fast reply.
> > No, I haven't installed the "kernel-source". I didn't get any messages
> > that it was needed. I will promptly install it, and try my rebuild again!
> >
> > Thanks a lot for the help! I will post back with my results.
> >
> > PS. Are all of the packages that I installed required to rebuild from
> > src? I am a bit concerned about wasting space on my hd w/uneeded
> > packages.

> I tried to install "kernel-source" for my kernel, which is 2.4.18-6mdk,
> with Software Manager. When I clicked on install, Software Manager was
> going to install "kernel-source" for 2.4.18-8.1mdk from my update site
> ftp.sunet.se!!! What is with that??? I didn't know what to do except XKill
> SM.
>
> I tried it again, and SM wanted to do the same thing...install
> kernel-source 2.4.18-8.1mdk. I'm stumped with this behaviour from SM. Any
> thoughts on this?
>

> --Angus

You're getting close Angus but the kernel you're running is apparently the
original 8.2 install kernel and there was an update. The 2.4.18-8.1mdk is the
security updated model. The was a notification about this a few months back.
This link:

http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/security/2002/MDKSA-2002-041.php?dis=8.2

will show the necessary updates and the version numbers to update to. 8.2 is
roughly two thirds of the way down the page.

The src package the software manager is trying to install is the one in the
advisory. Have you been keeping up to date on bugfixes and security fixes?
Are you actually still running the older kernel or has it been updated? Try
in a terminal typing: uname -r
and the version of your running kernel should display. You really don't want
to run any mismatches (voice of past experience here :-<) when it's easy to
get everything current and matched. But you should be running the version
that matches the software manager selection in my opinion.

--
Charlie
Edmonton,AB,Canada