> On Sunday 22 September 2002 12:12 pm, Charlie M. (the halfwit!) wrote:
>
> > and you'll be back in GUI space. Reverse the Lilo changes. Change the
> > append="devfs=nomount" back to append="devfs=mount" in other words. Reboot
> > and you should have the option to pick the original kernel or the new one,
> > and you've already installed the kernel source package you wanted a few
> > steps back. The software manager will upgrade the kernel documentation and
> > other frivolous :-) items without problems when you run it in the usual
> > manner.
>
> BEFORE YOU REBOOT!
> in a terminal as super user type /sbin/lilo -v once more to reset the append
> line to what you just changed. Sorry about that! :-(
>
> --
> Charlie
> Edmonton,AB,Canada
> Registered user 244963 at http://counter.li.org
> Do not count your chickens before they are hatched.
>               -- Aesop

Charlie, thanks so much for the explanation of the whole procedure! I think I can do
it now even!
It's a bit intimidating, to be sure. I am pretty much committed to Linux at this
point, and Mdk is where its at I believe.
I am already running with devfsd-1,3.25-1.1mdk, which I upgraded a while back, will
that simplify things some?

I am dual booting w/Windows still (just makes me feel "safer"), but I hope to outgrow
that soon! When I make the move to Mdk9, I may just go all Mdk. I really have been
reverting back to MS very little the past while, and I feel quite good about that too.
;-)

Does my dual-boot present any special concerns for the kernel upgrade?

I have created a /tmp/kernel folder where I will download the necessary packages. I am
thankful that I don't have to download all of the ones that were listed! I will start
the process tonight.
 No doubt I will be looking for your learned advice again.
All the best, and thank you again.

--Angus

"Let us not look back in anger or forward in fear, but around in awareness."--James
Thurber

Reg. Linux User #278931
Download the FREE Opera browser at www.opera.com/download/

Free OperaMail at http://www.operamail.com/