On Sunday 22 September 2002 10:39 am, Angus Auld wrote:
<snip>
> Thanks for the valuable info Charlie,
>
> I am indeed still running the original 2.4.18-6 kernel.
> I've only been running Mdk, and Linux in fact, for a few short months now.
> I guess I missed the update notice from Mdk.
>
> That looks like it's going to be a formidable task to update all those
> packages on a dialup. I have been keeping my system updated w/security and
> bugfixes that I thought were applicable to me. Do I have to install each of
> the listed packages manually, or will rpm install them if I update the
> kernel?? I'm really nervous to mess with the kernel, after reading warnings
> of danger if you don't know what you're doing (and, I don't know a lot
> about what I'm doing).
>
> Please, if you don't mind, advise. Thanks much.
>

> --Angus

You're askin' _me_ for advice? ;-)

OK.

You don't need anything to do with the 2.2.xx kernels since you aren't running
that version and have probably never even tried to boot the old kernel
anyway. It's still around as a legacy thing as far as I know. Almost all
"modern" hardware is supported in the 2.4 series and that wasn't true of 2.2.
So from the list you need only the 2.4.18 rpms. The devfsd also has to be
upgraded manually and you have to disable the running version to do it. The
easiest way to do the upgrades is to first open the file manager as super
user, save a copy of etc/lilo/conf (just in case) and then edit lilo.conf
with your favourite editor (kwrite, kate, emacs, vi, whatever you feel comfy
with). Change the line that says append="devfs=mount" to
append="devfs=nomount."  Done here for now. Close it all up back to userland.
Download:
a784430846ca56b52151b64f74744528  8.2/RPMS/devfsd-1.3.25-1.1mdk.i586.rpm
32969698f7badf0c3bc7fa3e4f278977 8.2/RPMS/kernel-2.4.18.8.1mdk-1-3mdk.i586.rpm
b40235a56e88bef36e827fd3baec374c 8.2/RPMS/kernel-source-2.4.18-8.1mdk.i586.rpm
from your update source server.

That's still a sizeable download but manageable I suspect. It's trimmed so
much 'cause you don't need enterprise, security, smp kernels or the 2.2
series. Be certain you know what directory you've saved them to! I have one I
called downloads that is empty unless I'm working with something. Reboot your
machine to be sure devfsd isn't running. (the "=nomount", remember?) If you
log into X automatically you'll want to kill X after you log in.
alt>ctrl>backspace should get you there. From the command prompt type su
<enter> then type the root password <enter> then cd [the directory you saved
the new kernel etc in] <enter>.
>From that command prompt type the following:
"rpm -ivh kernel-2.4.18.8.1mdk-1-3mdk.i586.rpm"
without quotes then hit enter.
When that's done type again without quotes:
"rpm -Fvh devfsd-1.3.25-1.1mdk.i586.rpm" <enter>
and:
"rpm -Fvh kernel-source-2.4.18-8.1mdk.i586.rpm" <enter>
Then type:
/sbin/lilo -v
When these steps are done type exit and you should be back at the user command
prompt. Type:
startx <enter>
and you'll be back in GUI space. Reverse the Lilo changes. Change the
append="devfs=nomount" back to append="devfs=mount" in other words. Reboot
and you should have the option to pick the original kernel or the new one,
and you've already installed the kernel source package you wanted a few steps
back. The software manager will upgrade the kernel documentation and other
frivolous :-) items without problems when you run it in the usual manner.

I know this is _way_ oversimplified and I hope nobody finds it offensive that
this is so. Also; if I've left anything out, or made mistakes please correct
and give me hell. I can do this stuff; it's the explanations I have trouble
with. <grin> Good luck Angus.

Later;
--
Charlie