On Tuesday September 24 2002 10:53 am, Marcia wrote:
> Tom Brinkman wrote:

> Dear Tom & Charles,
>
> I just sent a post that should show up mentioning that I downloaded
> the patch. It is a text file and I do not know what to do with it
> being the newbie that I am.

    I already replied to that post, you'll probly see it before this

 Anyway, I am wondering if I just would
> download and install the Xfree 4.2.1 if that would resolve the
> problem?

    Highly doubtful

  Any thoughts about this? My video is the onboard video
> which is I believe the integrated Savage 8 2D/D3 video Accelerator,
> 32MB shared memory.  Is there a specific driver for this that would
> improve things or would the latest XFree resolve it? Thanks for any
> suggestions.

   Should be covered from XFree-3.3.x on up, it's nothin new, sort'a
old. BUT, since it's onboard and sharing system ram, there should be an
append in lilo (or grub) to let the kernel know.  IE, since you have
512 MB's of installed ram, then there should be an append statement (or
part of it) in lilo sayin no more than   mem=480M  (eg, 512 -32).  I
doubt this is your 'Constant computer crashes' problem tho. See my
other reply, ....I suspect it's not a video problem anyhow.