On Monday September 23 2002 02:46 pm, Charles A Edwards wrote:

> I 'choose the GeForce3 for my high end system and I 'choose' to use
> the nvidia drivers.
> That is part of what linux is about--the ability to have choice.

>     Charles

   Correct, Linux is about choices, altho the nVidia driver is about
closed source proprietary who knows what? ... no choice, plus the
unauditable introduction of other possible conflicts and/or security
issues.  Minus choice.

    We can keep battin this back an forth as far as the ballyhooed AMD
(non-existent IMO 'bug'), but it seems to have come down to  ... we
both use AMD approved hardware,... we're both usin the same OS and
kernel (even version, current cooker 9.0), ... I believe you've come to
recognize now it's not a AMD processor bug .... only difference that's
left is the user choice of video driver.

   Your choice of the nvidia closed source driver appears to need the
kernel nopentium bandaid to work, my choice to use the open source
XFree driver isn't crippled in this respect. So, as I've been sayin,
driver choice seems to be the standout problem that's left, probly
further aggravated for those users who failed to choose apprv'd quality
hardware to begin with.   YMMV