On Thu, 19 Sep 2002 09:46:37 -0500, Marcia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> Since I have placed LM8.2 on my new Athlon 1600+ xp, elitegroup
> motherboard with via chipset, onboard sound and video and 512 megs of
> ram, my system just flakes out on me constantly. My web browsers will
> crash after using them for awhile and or files will not open or the
> menu bar will just disappear for no apparent reason. I then reboot and
>
> sometimes that gets everything working for awhile and sometimes not. I
>
> did have an irq conflict for awhile which I thought was resolved now.
> What could be happening and what can be done about it?

> Thanks,
> Marcia

Although your equipment is much newer than mine, try a different set of disks,
professionally burned if possible. It might make a difference.

I had similar problems trying to upgrade/install Mdk8.2 and Rh7.3 from CDs burnt at
the local LUG, although Mdk8.1 from Cheapbytes installs and runs great. Based on
comments on this list and others, it seems that disks burnt at high speed do not
always read well on older equipment. The Mdk8.2 would install with no complaints but
would perform as you mention: mine would hand in Konqueror and lock up. The Rh CDs
would not get past the 2nd stage install. Although, both sets were used to install
other, newer computers with no problems. Waiting on opportunity for new disks, though
actually not lacking anything except newer versions of things. Everything works fine
with Mdk8.1.

regards,
Richard.