On Sun, 12 Sep 1999, you wrote:
> After a bunch of errors, it concludes with, "/dev/hd1: UNEXPECTED
> CONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.  (i.e. without -a or -p options)
> In red, it concludes with, [FAILED].
>
> Basically, it's a corrupted filesystem, I think.  So how do I run fsck
> and fix it?

I like to boot off a "rescue" disk (get the rescue.img off the CDROM
and install it onto a floppy with dd in Linux or rawrite in
Windows/Dos.) Then when the rescue disk is loaded, type e2fsck
/dev/hda1 (assuming you're talking about the first drive in an
all-linux system...you kinda threw me with the "/dev/hd1" bit
there...)
        John