On 13 Sep 99, at 13:25, pol keem wrote:

> when i reboot after incorrect shutdown...it says some
> disks were not unmounted correcty and to
> RUN fdck MANUALLY
> and asks me for root passwd...
>
> after i give it the passwd and type fdck it says one
> line about parallelizing...
>
> so i exit and it says...
> you're nobody...go away...
>
> and then after more error messages it goes to the
> login prompt and says...internal error....
>
> i've reinstalled it twice and got the same result
> after rebooting whenever it freezes...
>
> any ideas?...
> ===
> polkeem

No one will answer you because no one wants to admit that linux
freezes up like this.  It didn't used to, I have seen enough X
crashes but never any lock ups.  Not until I started using mandrake
and kde/netscape.

The problem is the filesystem writes to the hard drive
asynchronously to speed up read/writes.  If it freezes up before a
write, you just lost that information.  Async was added because
linux was extremely stable and they could get away with it.  But
now?  Do we start mounting hard drives with -o sync?

It should not even be freezing in the first place like this.  It
happened to me and then it happened to some freinds of mine who
also installed mandrake.  No crt-alt f2 no ctr-alt-bkspc no three
finger salute.

Anyone else experiencing complete kernel freezes like this?  What
about in other distro's?  If we lose the single selling point of
linux(stabillity over the competition) the what remains?

Sorry if I seem like a pessimist,

Joe

Spam control follows:
root@localhost postmaster@localhost admin@localhost abuse@localhost