----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, September 13, 1999 5:43 PM
Subject: Re: [newbie] reboot after incorrect shutdown

> On 13 Sep 99, at 13:25, pol keem wrote:
>
> > when i reboot after incorrect shutdown...it says some
> > disks were not unmounted correcty and to
> > RUN fdck MANUALLY
> > and asks me for root passwd...
> >
> > after i give it the passwd and type fdck it says one
> > line about parallelizing...
> >
> > so i exit and it says...
> > you're nobody...go away...
> >
> > and then after more error messages it goes to the
> > login prompt and says...internal error....
> >
> > i've reinstalled it twice and got the same result
> > after rebooting whenever it freezes...
> >
> > any ideas?...
> > ===
> > polkeem
> >

> No one will answer you because no one wants to admit that linux
> freezes up like this.  It didn't used to, I have seen enough X
> crashes but never any lock ups.  Not until I started using mandrake
> and kde/netscape.
>
> The problem is the filesystem writes to the hard drive
> asynchronously to speed up read/writes.  If it freezes up before a
> write, you just lost that information.  Async was added because
> linux was extremely stable and they could get away with it.  But
> now?  Do we start mounting hard drives with -o sync?
>
> It should not even be freezing in the first place like this.  It
> happened to me and then it happened to some freinds of mine who
> also installed mandrake.  No crt-alt f2 no ctr-alt-bkspc no three
> finger salute.
>
> Anyone else experiencing complete kernel freezes like this?  What
> about in other distro's?  If we lose the single selling point of
> linux(stabillity over the competition) the what remains?
>
> Sorry if I seem like a pessimist,
>
> Joe

> Spam control follows:
> root@localhost postmaster@localhost admin@localhost abuse@localhost
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

I wonder if Joe has updated his kernel.  Since doing so, I have not
had any crashes or lock-ups, but that could just be me.  If you are
using Mandrake 6.0 "out-of-the-box" as it were, the unmounting problem
should be expected, as it is documented on the Mandrake web site (and
numerously in this mailing list).  It doesn't seem to happen to
everyone, but it has seeemed to affect most of us, so I'm assuming it
has something to do with certain system architechtures.  Not even
Mandrake can be perfect, but at least we were all notified as soon as
the problem was identified, and a fix was out shortly.  Who else gives
tech support like that?  Hmm...

Manny Styles
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
---